Monday, February 5, 2007

Patrolling Iraqi National Police Checkpoints














Patrolling National Police Checkpoints around Baghdad in the middle of the night is one of the most frightening adventures a person can have, especially when one is travelling to a checkpoint that is hit daily by snipers and there is intelligence that a group of armed men will engage this checkpoint on the night you're visiting. Luckily I was with Team Extreme, a group of American soldiers called up to train these police. And we didn't stick around long. The soldiers were paying surprise visits to the Iraqi checkpoints to make sure they were awake (they weren't) and prepared (they weren't).

They dropped me off at my hotel afterwards, surprising OUR Iraqi guards when the convoy of humvees pulled up.

As I made my way inside the compound, one the soldiers whispered "bye" from his humvee loudspeaker and they were gone.

No comments: