Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Newbies

One of the "new" soldiers was making his first agonizing wheelchair trip from Mologne House to the hospital today. Poor thing. He was trying to figure out which hills would be less painful. As I write this my left arm is pounding me from the uphill climb.

He also had questions about his future permanent wheelchair (he's still in the "loaner"), his amputated leg, and what he'd be able to do in the future. I remember those days. Being relatively new and wondering constantly what the future would hold. I told him it seemed to me that everyone can do just about anything they want provided they want it passionately enough. One amputee is back jumping out of planes! Golf is a very powerful incentive for most of the guys here. They'll do anything to get back on the course.

I'm one of the few who still has a passion for my career. But even as I fight my way back I, too, wonder what restrictions there will be and whether it will be worth it.

1 comment:

Marianne said...

I think you'll be able to do just about anything you want, Moonpie, and it will be worth it. You've accomplished so much - don't let it be for nothing.