Saturday, January 27, 2007

The weekend

All was fairly quiet here Friday, until the visit of a US delegation, led by Nancy Pelosi, was confirmed. Then the military released more disconcerting details of the Karbala attack.

Today, the Demon Dog--a massive white beast covered in battle scars--began his howling at 3 a.m. It would have been beautiful if not for the hour and the fact that he is favoring a spot under my balcony.

I spotted him yesterday, sunning himself. I threw him a chicken jerky strip I'd bought at an expensive pet store in New York. It fell at his feet. He only sniffed it.

He is a very old soul, I can see it in his eyes.

We've had only one explosion this morning and, as car bombs go, it wasn't much. Perhaps it was a motorcyle. I can almost tell the difference now, even from miles away.

The weather has been beautiful. In the 60s and sunny.

Most everyone is now recovering from the flu or food poisoning but yesterday's diet consisted mostly of Chinese noodles and broth.

No comments: