Sunday, January 7, 2007

From Baghdad

I am back in Baghdad. We took the late flight from Amman and you can never be sure it will go, but we got lucky. Its been very cold, snowy and rainy in Amman lately so many of the other flights were delayed.

It was good to see all of the Iraqi guards at our compound. I slipped downstairs tonight to check on our dogs and several of the guards came around to talk.

Barkon, the Doberman, is doing okay. He has grown a bit and gained some weight, but he seems sad. And a little weary. His living conditions are still awful. It took him a moment to recognize me. And then he danced for a while. I took him for a walk.

He stood watching me as I left him. It breaks me heart to see him standing there alone, wishing he could walk away with me.

I gave them some chicken jerky I'd brought for him but he wasn't sure what to do with it. He's always more interested in playing with me than in any toys or treats I have for him. He jumped me several times. He only does this to me, so I knew then he remembered me.

The Iraqis have a new, fake Vespa. They took me for a ride around the parking lot. It would have been great if it were safe enough to ride on the roads. But of course that's not possible.

No comments: